Sunday, January 15, 2012

Christmas Eve

We spend Christmas Eve at my mom's house.  Our tradition is to attend afternoon mass and then go back to my mom's house for dinner and present. Even with her move across the state, we were able to keep with our Christmas Eve traditions. My mom, sister and I went to mass while Mark stayed home with the kids. They weren't feeling well and he wanted to watch the Lions game so it was a win-win for him.
 After church (we walked because the church is located right across the street from us), we loaded up the kids and headed to my moms. We ate our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of ham, twice baked potatoes, salad, sweet potatoes and a veggie.  The kids ate puffs and played with their toys.  After dinner, we moved to the living room and enjoyed opening presents from everyone.  I am a stickler about watching each other open their presents which meant it took us a
while to get through everything. We had fun and the kids loved all of the wrapping paper, bows and boxes. Mark had the great idea to ask the grandparents to pick out a recordable book for the kids. My mom had my grandma (her mom and the kids great-grandma) record the story Good Night Moon. It took many tries and 'do-overs,' but Oma read it. At the end of the story, she sang the babies a German lullaby that I have heard many times before. We were all crying after we listened to her story.  These books are amazing keepsakes and I highly recommend them as a gift. 
Will and Erin stayed up late because they were having so much fun with all of the wrapping paper and their new presents. It was a wonderful Christmas Eve and I can't wait until next year!











No comments:

Post a Comment