Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Will's Action Plan

As a teacher, I've had some students who may need to have an action plan to help them be successful learners.  I might meet with the principal, social worker, other teachers and if necessary, the parents.  We will come up with the plan and how we are going to execute it.  Today I was on the other side of this action plan because I was the parent.
Here's how the story goes:  Mr. Will decided to extubate himself early this morning.  He managed to get his sweet, little hands underneath the neobar that is holding his breathing tube in place and rip it off of his face!  The doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists were able to work quickly and reintubate him (put the tube back).  This is the fifth time that Will and his helping hands has managed to extubate himself.  He is making quiet the name for himself in the NICU.  So much so that they (doctors, nurses, nursing director and the physical therapist) held a safety precautions meeting about Will.  What were they going to do to stop him from pulling out his tube again?  There were a few options: 1. sedate him  2. restraints 3. individual care.   We are thankful that the team went with option 3. 

So here is Will's Action Plan:
1. Individual Care- He has his own nurse all of the time.  If s/he needs to leave there must be another adult in the room with Will.  No more sharing a nurse with Erin or any other baby.
2.  Dandlewrap- A special way to wrap him with his hands by his sides.
3. Baby Dumbbells- The physical therapist made Will his own set of dumbbells (that's what Mark and I are calling them).  Will's hands will always have something to hold.
4. He has the privilege to have his hands free during his care time (when diapers are changed, eyes wiped, etc.) because the nurse will be next to his bed to supervise him.

This plan will be in place until he graduates to NIPPV (what we call Scuba Steve) vent with the hat and nasal prongs. 

Mark and I have had a good laugh about this whole situation and we are very thankful that the staff is taking Will seriously.  We now have 'THAT child' (those of you who are teachers understand what I mean) everyone knows about because of their naughty behavior.  Here are a few pictures of our sweet looking, but far from innocent, boy. :-)


Will gripping on to his baby dumbbells and he seems to like them. They are made out of gauze and a piece of foam Velcro.
Will is in his new Dandlewrap.  It is nearly impossible for him to break free. 
This wrap is good for preemies because is gives them boundaries.

6 comments:

  1. I love your spirit, Will. We have tears of laughter running down our cheeks. You go Will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always the teacher's kids isn't it ;) - Love this post and love Will's feisty attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe how big he is getting! Your comments are hilarious! Got love those kids with spunk! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a little monkey!!! I love how you wrote this with the action plan stuff- and SO GLAD they agreed with that last choice! (The others sounded so sad...) Those little baby dumb-bells are the cutes! I hope he becomes a graduate soon!!! He's looking so big so hopefully it won't be long!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hughes Family!
    You guys are doing an amazing job! These sweet little babies are so lucky to have you as their parents and I believe that in Heaven they chose you. They knew you would be there for them and that you would love them so. Those times of late night poopie diapers is coming and until then know that there are so many people who love you and who are praying for your young family.
    Much love,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this and couldn't stop laughing!!! You expessed this so great. He is going to be your trouble maker for sure.

    Hang in there..you guys are doing great and have a good spirit.

    Anita Jones

    ReplyDelete