Wednesday, April 27, 2011

We Are Thankful

We have so many things to be thankful for this week. Will has been a lot of progress with his breathing. He has stayed off of the standard vent, which he was on for his whole life. He is on Bubble CPAP and doing rather well. He had a partially collapsed right lung and that has now opened up. He is happier and awake more and for longer periods of time. We can hold him whenever we want to. Will's eye exam came back better and his ROP is not progressing. The belly wound that split open has nearly grown back together in four short weeks. I am amazed at how quirky his little body grew back together. He is now able to wear clothes, which makes me feel better because it's something babies are supposed to do. He weighs 5 lbs 14 oz and his clothes are huge on him, but he still looks adorable. This week I feel hopeful for Will. I am not scared and stressed that he won't come home with us.

Erin was making great progress with her bottle feeding. She was taking 57ml from a bottle almost every feeding (for a few days in a row). We were told that she would probably come home in two weeks which would be this Friday. But, her CO2 levels are higher than the doctors want. (She was at 74 and she should be 40-50. As of this writing she is at 64.) On Easter, the doctor put Miss Erin back on Bubble CPAP. This means that she cannot bottle feed right now. She is getting 60ml gavaged. I am disappointed that she has taken such steps backwards because I was really excited to have one of my babies at home with
me. Erin's eye exam looked great and her ROP has not progressed either. She weighs 7 lbs 2 oz and is quickly outgrowing her clothes.

Mark is thankful that his new job is going well and that he isn't paying $4.19 per gallon of gas. I'm thankful that the babies are doing well and that I am prepared for them to come home. I am also thankful for all of you! I appreciate your prayers, comments and support. (Mark does too.) I will be thankful when the new power cable for our computer arrives so I can upload pictures to the blog. :-). I'm doing this update from my phone while Erin is sleeping in my arms.

3 comments:

  1. This is all great news! Congrats on the progress and I'm sure Erin will be right back up kicking some breathing butt in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to hear about the updates on the babies. Thank you for sharing. Good news re: the babies eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many ups and downs in this journey I'm sure... the good news is that they are still going in that right direction!!! They'll come home to you and one day this time (which feels like an eternity) will feel like the blink of an eye! (one day). I get your email updates and have to remember to get here to comment!!! <3
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete