This has been a big week for Erin. Last Tuesday, she went off of CPAP (what we called Scuba Steve vent because of the 'scuba' gear she had to wear) and on to high flow nasal cannula. By Wednesday, she was down to low flow nasal cannula. I love her new vent because now I can pick her up and hold her whenever I want to, just like a 'real' baby. :-) On Thursday, Erin took her first bottle! For her first attempt she took 15 ml out of the 50 ml she gets per feeding. We were VERY impressed. The next few tries she took 15-17 ml and on Saturday night she took 34 ml. We tried again on Sunday and Monday, but she wasn't interested or fell asleep. Erin is fed down her feeding tube when she doesn't finish a bottle or isn't interested in it. Bottle feeding is something that we are doing only if she is awake and interested. We are not going to stress her (or me) out with it right now. Learning how to suck, swallow and breathe is harder than it sounds. I will try breast feeding her once she gets a little better at bottle feeding. But, I know that she/we will get there. We are proud of Erin and all of her accomplishments this week.
 |
| Sleep, it does a baby good. |
 |
| Our little cupcake |
 |
| Spending time with daddy. |
 |
| Mommy is teaching me how to suck my thumb. |
 |
| I'm a big girl! |
 |
| Time to burp. |
 |
| Erin feel asleep after drinking 34 ml of her bottle so we helped her out in the end. |
She is adorable and I love that you are able to hold her more now! I remember talking to a friend who had a premie and said how hard it was when they were learning to manage how to swallow, breathe and suck all at the same time. Hang in there!! It can be stressful to nurse and feed any newborn babe when they are tired and stuff. I think you have a great attitude! Your babes are so blessed to have you and God sent them to you because you are an amazing mama!
ReplyDeleteHugs-
L