Since day one, everyone (doctors, nurses, our social worker, former NICU parents, etc.) have all told us that our time in the NICU will be like a roller coaster ride. The past few days feel like we are climbing up one of those hills on the roller coaster. Erin and Will are making gains. They are gaining weight, length and strength. We've been able to hold Will every day since Saturday. His vent settings are lower (which means he is breathing more on his own, but is still fully supported by the vent). Today he is wearing his first shirt. It's a bit big for him, but he still looks cute. Both babies have graduated to bigger diapers. Instead of preemie x-small they are swimming in preemie small diapers. The diapers are HUGE on them, but they had outgrown the other ones so there isn't much choice about what they wear.
When I got to Erin's room today, she was on the conventional ventilator instead of her oscillator vent. This is one step closer to being vent free (which is still months away, but she is making progress) and to us being able to do skin to skin time with her. I was able to spend time talking to and interacting with Erin. Her nurse, Vicki, popped the top on her bed during afternoon care time. Erin was wide awake while I changed her diaper and Vicki did her stuff. Afterwards, we kept the lid up for about 15 minutes so that Erin and I could have a bit of bonding time. I put my hand on her back and talked to her while she was looking at me. We still can't hold her, but this was the next best thing.
Mark and I are enjoying these days of progress and bonding. We are thankful for the little things, like being able to touch our children without the walls of their 'houses' surrounding them. We both know that there will be rough days ahead, but for now we are going to slow down and cherish these moments.
Cherish the time with your sweethearts. How very fortunate you all are. God be with you.
ReplyDeleteI love that your roller-coaster ride is going in the right direction! Always holding you close in thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDeleteHugs-
L