Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bikers for Babies

It's that time of year again for Bikers for Babies.  Mark is raising money for March of Dimes and would love for you to help him reach his goal.  Thank you!!

http://www.bikersforbabies.org/michigan/hughes2012

Here is a brief explanation of why we raise money for the March of Dimes.

I’ve been pondering the question of why I raised so much money for the 2011 March of Dimes Bikers for Babies.  The answer is simple:  I love babies, bike riding and fundraising.  This event combines all three of these things.  Before my twins were born at 25 weeks and 2 days, I didn’t know much about the March of Dimes.  But, that didn’t matter because the March of Dimes was there for my family during the scariest time of our lives.  The research that has been completed by the March of Dimes provided life saving medication for my babies.  Without this medication, our story could be so different.  The March of Dimes also conducted the research to find out that adjusting the oxygen settings on a ventilator can improve a preemie’s eye site.  Because of this discovery, my children did not need to have laser surgery to fix the ROP in their eyes.  Not only did the March of Dimes help my children, but they also provided support to my wife and me.  Upon arriving in the NICU, we received a bag filled with information, keepsakes, journals and a disposable camera to help us during the journey.  We attended parent support meetings and had a chance to meet others who had similar experiences.  The March of Dimes was there for us when we needed it most. 

I wanted to find a way to give back to an organization that helped us.  I had heard about Bikers for Babies and instantly knew that this was the way I could give back.  I didn’t have a motorcycle, but I did have a pedal bike that I decided to ride in the event.  I formed a team and started raising money.  With the help of social media, I was able to encourage people to donate to Team Will and Erin.  For example, I reminded my friends that instead of buying a cup of coffee from their favorite coffee shop, they could help save the life of a baby.  Just pointing out something so simple helped my friends learn that a little bit can go a long way.  I enjoyed the challenge of raising the money and educating people about the March of Dimes.  I was humbled by the outpouring of support shown by family, friends and complete strangers.  I am proud to have helped raise so much money for an amazing organization like the March of Dimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment