Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mackinac Island



We were able to spend the weekend on Mackinac Island. It is such a unique place without any cars and only horses/carriages or bikes as your mode of transportation.  My cousin Kevin was getting married on the island.  


We were able to stay on the Island with my dad, Connie and my sister.  We had a great time spending time together and just hanging out.  

The wedding was small (45 people) and beautiful.  I don't have any pictures of the ceremony because it was a full Catholic mass and the kids only lasted until the Gospel (20 minutes) before getting restless.  

Mark and I spent the next 40 minutes chasing the kids outside and trying to keep them quietly entertained inside the church. The kids did great and everything went off without a hitch (at least it appeared that way to us).  The reception was food and the food was absolutely amazing!! I still have dreams about the prime rib that was served for dinner. 

Before the ceremony, we were able to enjoy the beautiful day by going for a walk on the island. We stopped by the Grand Hotel (which is 125 years old and was built in 90 days by 600 workers working 24/7. It's also made out of Michigan White Pine, which is our state tree.  I learned all of this on the carriage tour we took Sunday morning). ;-) 




            On Sunday, we went on a carriage tour of the Island.  We stopped at the butterfly house and horse carriage museum, Arch Rock and saw many other famous places on Mackinac Island.  As soon as we stepped into the butterfly house, Erin lunged for a butterfly and smashed it. Whoops! Thankfully, the butterfly house keeper didn't see it.  
This picture makes me laugh out loud every time I look at it.  Will and Erin were mad because they wanted to throw rocks.  Grandpa wasn't mad, but was actually laughing at the situation.  The picture captured everyone at a great moment! As soon as the kids were on the ground they stopped crying.  





Daddy, Aunt Krysten and I were able to enjoy the nightlife thanks to grandma and grandpa who babysat the kids (we all stayed in the same suite so it made it really easy).  Mackinac Island is one of my favorite places in the the World.  I love when the last boat leaves and you have the whole Island to yourselves (no cars or motorized vehicles). It is truly magical. 





We took the 1:00 ferry back to the mainland.  Both kids fell asleep on the ride.  We had a beautiful view of the Mackinac Bridge and enjoyed the ride.  We hope to go back to the Island again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment