Friday, January 18, 2013

Happy 2nd Birthday Babies!!

Dear Will and Erin,
Today is your 2nd birthday! I cannot believe that you are already 2 years old! The time has gone so quickly (everyone told me it would, but I didn't really understand what they meant until now).  I took the day off of work because to me your birthday is a holiday (and I scheduled your 2 year check up).  When you woke up this morning I walked into Will's room and then opened Erin's door and said 'Happy Birthday!' Erin you had a huge smile on your face like you understood what I was saying.  When we ask you how old you are, you can tell us 'two' and you try to hold up two fingers (but it ends up being all of your fingers).  We cuddled on the couch and watched Mickey.  Will, you always get a big, excited smile on your face when you see Mickey. You shout 'Dickey!' because you cannot say the 'm' sound yet.  We ate breakfast, took a bath and got dressed for the day.  We headed to Dr. App's office for your 2 year check up.  Will weighed 26 lbs and was 33 inches long.  You didn't like to stand on the scale to get measured so we layed you on the table. Erin loved standing on the scale and kept playing on it.  Erin weighs 23 lbs and is 32.5 inches long.  From there we went to the Children's Hospital.
I had to pick up my volunteer badge because I am on the March of Dimes NICU Family Support Committee.  I meet once a month with other preemie moms to support current NICU families and offer feedback on ways to improve the NICU.  I love the group and have so much fun at the meetings!
From there we went to 4 Center which is the floor where I was on bedrest with you two.  We dropped off the typed story I wrote about you two so they could hang it on their family board and we talked with the nurses.  They were all amazed at how well you two are doing.  One nurse said that she had a patient who was 24 weeks pregnant and scared.  We went to her room and met Nicole and her mom.  They were both very nice and asked great questions.  I enjoyed talking with them and sharing our story.  You two were well behaved until I let you out of your stroller.  Then you wanted their phone, laptop and anything else they had.  You two definitely kept busy and I think that they enjoyed watching you.  After meeting them and hopefully putting their minds at ease, we went to the NICU to say hi to some of our favorite nurses. 
Dea, Megan and Vicki were working so we were able to visit for a while.  We dropped off a big platter of cookies and our story to hang on their family board.   You two were very busy and into everything.  Erin you were helping the secretary by getting into her files and greeting the guests.  Will just wanted to climb in and out of the stroller.  We had a lot of fun and it was great to see them.
We went and had some pizza and ice cream. Will ate the pizza and Erin ate the ice cream!  You both loved playing with the interactive wall.  And you both ran away (at different times) into the gift shop and took candy (which I promptly returned).
On the way home you both fell asleep and are napping right now.  I just wanted to write down our day so that I you would know how special it was. You both make me feel so proud and special to be your mom.  You always amaze me with what you are able to do and how far you have come in two years. 
This whole week I've been reflecting on my life two years ago.  It feels like just yesterday that I was laying in the bed on 4 Center trying hard to make the contractions go away.  Little did I know that you were meant to come early so that you could bring so much joy to everyone. You give people hope, inspiration and love just by being you.  As I've told you before, I love being your mom and you always make me proud!!
Happy Birthday to my 2 miracle babies!!!
Love,
Mama


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful keepsake of their second birthday! I too can't believe they are two already! Time sue does fly! Happy birthday Will and Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete