Thursday, April 19, 2012

1 Year Ago Today

What a difference a year makes! How many times have I said that in this blog?  Today has been an emotional day for both Mark and me.

One year ago, Dr. Knee gave Will 1 hour to bring down his vent settings because he was receiving 100% oxygen support when he was on NIPPV.  If he didn't bring down the settings, he would have to be reintubated and would have probably ended up with a trach.  He had been intubated (breathing tube down his throat) for 3 months. I sat by his bedside, wearing my gown and rubber gloves (because he was in isolation) and I put my hand on his tiny body. I prayed and prayed and prayed.  As I prayed, I watched Will's nurse Dea slowly turn down his vent settings. He was very slowly starting to breath without as much O2 support. As she turned down the settings, I prayed harder. My son was not going to have a trach.  I am thankful God answered my prayers and helped Will that day.  I saw God's hand at work with our son.  I was so proud of Will for proving Dr. Knee wrong! It was such an emotional time.

This day was also memorable because the baby in the room next to Will passed away. Her name was Kaydence and she was born at 23 weeks.  She lived for 9 months in the NICU.  We got to know her parents while we were there. On this day, I sat in Will's room and watched Kaydence's dad walk back and forth to the lounge as he called family members to tell them that Kaydence's heart was giving out. She didn't have much time left.  The doctor's had done everything they could do for her. I watched as Kaydence's grandparents, aunt and uncle arrived to say their final good-byes to her.  I sat next to Will's bed as I watched Kaydence's primary nurses come from home to be with her family during this time. I saw nurses, respiratory therapists and doctors cry because a special baby was going to be taken from us.  It was a surreal time to watch people experience the death of their only child.   Words don't even begin to describe this time.  It will be permanently etched in my mind. I hope that no one has to experience anything like it.  As Kaydence left us, I was with Will and Mark was with Erin.  We saw the 0 flash on the screen and we knew at that moment she was gone.  We held our children tighter and cried for all that was lost and for what could have been.  I cried because I knew that this could be Will.  He was still SO sick.  There was no guarantee that he would make it home with us.  Kaydence's passing was a reminder of that. I haven't seen them since that day, but they will forever be in my heart.  We have kept in touch through Facebook. Her parents are amazing people.

What a difference a year makes! We sold our house today!!! It was on the market for 15 days!! We have been working so hard to complete 9 years worth of projects in the 6 days before we listed our house.  Mark has done an amazing job getting everything done! I always knew he had it in him. We have 30 days to be out and we don't have a house yet! We have a few houses in mind, but nothing definite. We want to move near my school, but there aren't many houses for sale. Say a prayer that we find something soon. If not, we'll be living in my mom's basement. This would make my morning commute much shorter because the kids would already be at grandma's house. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment